Sunday, November 30, 2014

Communion of Saints






Communion of Saints

The point at which one begins story is arbitrary, a bracket put around an experience to help understand and/or savor it.  I am choosing to begin this story by recollecting my dream in January 2009 featuring both Jesus and Sheela-na-gig.  I could have begun it with my son’s birth or with his death.  I could have begun it with an imaginary encounter with monks of the Ceile Day order whose footsteps I follow.

It is before 6 a.m. on April 27, 2014.  This day marks the 45th anniversary of the birth of my first child, Arthur Donovan.  I stand on an ancient stone on the beach near the ferry dock on the Isle of Iona off the west coast of Scotland awaiting the appearance of the sun so I might sing the words that have been sung here for centuries.  As the point of light appears on the horizon and begins to intensify, I start to chant and to bath myself in the first 9 rays of the sun.

The timing of my pilgrimage was dictated by the date of the silent retreat I am attending on this Isle so important in the spread of a unique form of Christianity in the Celtic lands.  Until a few weeks before my arrival I was unaware there was a Sheela-na-gig on the island.   It is on the exterior wall of the medieval nunnery ruins I walked through on my way to my hotel after disembarking from the ferry yesterday afternoon.  It was they who called me here, Jesus and Sheela-na-gig.  The dream foretold it, and set me on the path of inquiry that brought me here on this day.

I repeat the chant three times and enact the motions of bathing myself with the sacred light.  My heart and soul open wide as I fully receive this blessing.  I am loved, I love, I am love.  I am here in the presence of the sun, the sea, the Holy Isle herself, all those who have gone before me in the Ceile De tradition, my sisters in the caim and in a very special way my beloved Arthur.

After my words have fallen silent, I kneel to kiss the stone.  I kiss my beloved earthly mother once for myself, one for each of my caimreachs, once for all the followers of the tradition who will never be able to make this pilgrimage and once for my beloved Arthur.

As I stand I allow myself to soak in more of the sun’s sweet warmth along with the essence of all I love. I recognize this as a destiny moment.  Just as I was destined to give birth to Arthur on this day 45 years ago, we were destined to meet at this exact place on this morning.  Somehow I have followed the slender thread that connects his birth to this holy moment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment